Tax Statements Available Online


The 1099-R tax statement for calendar year 2017 benefit earnings are now available online for retirees with a MyNYSTRS account. (If you don’t already have an account, register for one today). The statements will sent by U.S. mail to all retired members by the end of January.

The 1099-R shows your gross benefit amount, the taxable amount and any federal tax withheld. Tax statements from previous years are also available through MyNYSTRS.

If necessary, you can change your tax withholding online through MyNYSTRS. Go to My Tools, select W-4P Withholding Election and follow the instructions. (This page also shows your current withholding.)

Alternatively, you can change your withholding by submitting a completed W-4P Withholding Election and Certificate (FIN-149) form found on the Retiree Forms page. You can also request this form by calling our automated Hotline at (800) 782-0289.

Those with questions about their 1099s or those who do not receive their form by Jan. 31 should contact NYSTRS at (800) 348-7298, Ext. 6120. Please Note: Questions about individual tax liabilities should be directed to a certified tax professional or the IRS.

Back to top