Tax Documents Now Available


Benefit recipients take note: The 1099-R tax statement for calendar year 2016 earnings are now available online for those with a MyNYSTRS account. All retired members will receive a copy of this statement via U.S. Mail by the end of January.

The 1099-R shows your gross benefit amount, the taxable amount and any federal tax withheld. The guide below shows where to find key information for tax preparation. Tax statements from previous years are also available through MyNYSTRS.

Want to change your tax withholdings? Do it online with a MyNYSTRS account. Simply log in at, click My Tools, select W-4P Withholding Election and follow the instructions. (This page also shows your current withholding.)

Alternatively, you can change your withholding by submitting a completed W-4P Withholding Election and Certificate (FIN-149) form found on the Retiree Forms page at You can also request this form by calling our Hotline at (800) 782-0289.

If you don’t have a MyNYSTRS account, there’s no better time to create one. Simply click on the MyNYSTRS Login tab found on any page at and create your account today.

Those with questions about their 1099s or those who do not receive their form by Jan. 30 should contact NYSTRS at (800) 348-7298, Ext. 6120. Please Note: Questions about individual tax liabilities should be directed to a certified tax professional or the IRS.

Back to top